Rains tend to wreck the best-laid plans, and your exercise routine is often the most badly hit. You excuse yourself from the walk you try to go on every morning because it’s pouring or decide to skip going to the gym because with all that traffic, you’ll never make it there in time to get in a full workout.
But you feel guilty about not working out, and you know you can’t keep skipping it – it’s neither good for your health nor for your pocket!
You need to get control of the situation, but obviously, you can’t control Mother Nature. The solution? You can control your fitness routine. There are several exercise routines you can easily do in the comfort of your home without punishing your wallet. What’s more, most of these don’t even require any special equipment.
Here is a list of simple exercises you can do at home on the days when the rains keep you from stepping outside:
- Superman: This is an easy exercise for your back, hips, and shoulders. Start by lying on your stomach on the mat, with your toes pointing away and hands stretched out above your head, palms facing each other. In this pose, you sort of look like a flying superman, that’s where the name comes from. Remember to relax your neck. Now take a breath in, and as you breathe out, slowly raise your legs and arms slightly off the ground. Make sure your torso stays on the mat, and that you don’t end up rotating your legs. Hold the position for a few seconds. Now breathe in again and go back to your original position.
- Bent Knee Push-ups: This exercise will help you tone your arms, shoulders, and chest. Begin by kneeling on the mat, making sure that your feet are together. Now bend forward and place your palms flat on the mat, facing downward. Your palms should be shoulder-width apart. Slowly push yourself forward towards the ground till your shoulders are just above the back of your palms and your chest is touching the floor. As you do this, stiffen your core. Do not slack your back or let your hips rise up. Next, pull yourself up by pushing on the ground until your hands are straightened. Again, here, make sure your back doesn’t slack and hips don’t rise. Repeat 10 times.
- Forward Lunge: This exercise is for your thighs, abs, and hips. Start by standing straight with your shoulders relaxed. Slowly lift one leg stably, without swaying to the sides. Place this foot forward such that your thigh is parallel to the ground. Be careful that, as you do this, you put your body weight on the leg in front and keep your hip relaxed. Hold the lunge for a few seconds. To come back to the original position, push on your thigh and butt muscles and bring your leg back. Repeat with the other leg. You can do about four to five repetitions for each leg.
- Standing Calf Raises – Wall: This is another easy exercise that will give you toned calves. For this exercise, stand at a distance of about 6-12 inches from the wall, facing it. Rest your palms flat on the wall at shoulder level, with your feet pointing towards the wall. Breathe in and, as you exhale, lift your heels off the ground, hold the position momentarily, and bring them back to the ground. Now bend one knee and raise the foot from the ground. Do the calf raise with the other leg and then come back to the original position. Repeat with the same routine, this time bending the knee of the other leg. This also can be performed about five times for each leg.
By doing these easy exercises at home on the days that you cannot go out due to rains, you don’t neglect your physical health.
There are, of course, other physical activities that you can do from the comfort of your home to stay fit. For instance, you can put on some music and dance. Or, if you prefer yoga, you can find several asanas that target specific parts of the body to suit your fitness requirements. You can even do the 12-in-1 Surya Namaskar for a full-body workout. Ten repetitions of this asana are an excellent way of staying on track.
Even if you are into weight training and are missing your dumbbells at the gym, there’s a way around: you can instead use water bottles of equal weight
There’s always a workaround for obstacles on the way to your goals, and keeping fit is no exception. So, don’t let the weather hold you back.
- Vickey T. Top 25 At-Home Exercises [Internet]. 2016 May 17 [cited 2019 Jul 18]. Available from: https://www.acefitness.org/education-and-resources/lifestyle/blog/6593/top-25-at-home-exercises.