Just because you have diabetes or high cholesterol, that does not mean you need to eat boring food every day. All you need to do is add a twist to traditional healthy recipes. Nutritionist and Health Coach Karena Adnani shares this recipe for healthy chicken and oats upma for non-vegetarians.
The high protein in chicken helps regulate blood sugar, while the beta-glucan in oats is beneficial for controlling high cholesterol. Here are some other foods that can help lower your cholesterol.
Chicken Oats Upma Recipe
Serving size: 1
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 10g Semolina
- 15g Rolled Oats
- 25g Chicken breast boneless (boiled and strained) – diced or shredded
- 25g Carrot finely diced
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Urad dal
- ½ tsp Chana dal
- 5g Coriander to garnish
- 1 Cherry to garnish
- 1tsp Lemon juice
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ tsp Rice Bran oil
- Place a medium bottomed pan on medium heat and pour ¼ tsp oil.
- Add semolina and oats to the pan, and roast it until they start to turn golden.
- Once done, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, pour the remaining ¼ tsp oil, and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, and chana dal.
- Once the seeds start popping, add turmeric powder and stir.
- Now add the finely diced carrots and chicken, and sauté until they are cooked.
- Add water to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, lower the heat, and add the semolina little by little to avoid forming any lumps.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes with the lid on.
- Once cooked, mix well and slide the contents of the pan onto a serving dish.
- Garnish with lemon juice and coriander, and serve